Greetings!
This year's fourth of July followed pretty much the same pattern as last year's, with a couple of exceptions.
We started the 4th's festivities at the Light Up the Lake event Tuesday night. Grampy, Grammie D., Aunt Deona and Monica all joined us. The party was a combination community-wide 4th of July celebration (with about a dozen boats decorated with lights and fireworks) and commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Lake Arlington. I'm told if I can't say anything nice about something, just don't say anything at all. But, I will say that someone at the event did mention this was poorly done, and I didn't disagree with him at all.
So, once that was over, we got home late. Jordan didn't go to bed until well after 10 p.m. At 7 a.m., we all got up and headed to downtown Arlington to watch the 4th of July parade with Grandma and Grandpa. Jordan wasn't interested in much of anything (other than running up and down West Street), so we left after less than an hour. We did get to enjoy the bands from Lamar, Juan Seguin and Arlington high schools, though, and all were excellent. Maybe one year, we'll get to hear all six high school bands. Arlington can't throw much of a lake party, but they can and do throw an excellent parade.
After the parade, we went and got cleaned up. Lunch was at Mimi's apartment complex, where we had hot dogs, sausage, potato salad, pasta salad, cakes and pies, and some other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten. It was all excellent.
Wednesday afternoon, we capped off the day at Aunt Deona's house with some swimming. Jordan did not enjoy that at all! Which, he'll have to get over; swim lessons started this week.
Thursday, I've taken the day off from work to go with Dondi to see the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. We're looking forward to that.
All and all, it was a good 4th, if for no other reason than it didn't rain for the first time in 40 days or 40 nights. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment